First Gain from 2m MOXON Antenna

Posted by Isham Issey

2m MOXON 20 feet elevated from ground
Hi there, this is my first gain for 2m antenna. It was a great idea by MOXON. This is very light and easy to built. The performance is approximately close to 3 el Yagi. It promised 5-6dB forward gain. 

This antenna was built in 2009 and still up there at approximately 20 ft above ground. 

I found,this is a great first gain for homebrew product. I can reached nearby repeater which distance at approximately 150 km with QRP operation. I have tested over simplex operation with a good signal 59. 

I used to built a 6 el Yagi and perform a performance test to similar repeater and station with MOXON. The result was very impressing. MOXON can work with the same station as good as 6el Yagi. Now, Yagi is well kept inside my store for portable use only. 

Here are some snaps during fabrication on my 2m MOXON. Take a look the tools used, it was hmmm..





This is complete set for portable operation. You will be surprised, I worked with one of the local repeater with distance approximately 100 km with good signal (59). I run 5 watt together with a cup of coffee. 













Some pieces ready to form a moxon. All are hand made and without help from any machine.














This sketch still safely kept in drawer for future reference. In fact, I have open new book for other antenna project.














This a complete moxon but yet to install the feed point. 

To all radios out there, if you are looking for your first homebrew and superb gain at its category, I recommend MOXON. Details of MOXON can be reached at http://www.moxonantennaproject.com/index.html. Again thanks for MOXON crew Les Moxon, G6XN for the great idea from west malaysia station, 73 De 9M2IDX. See you on air... 

0 comments

Post a Comment

Archives

My Photo
Isham Issey
FT 897D, MFJ-945E, Fan Dipole for 40m & 20m, 40m Rotary Dipole, PAC-12 2m-40m vertical antenna, 2m Moxon and Multiband Vertical Dipole
View my complete profile